I know it is early days but after last night’s thrilling 4-2 win over ‘new-boys’ and championship champions Reading at The Bridge, Chelsea are top of league, six points clear of Man Utd, Tottenham and Liverpool. Also lagging behind are Arsenal by five points, and by three points -Man City and Saturday’s opponents Newcastle United.
Chelsea started off in some stunning fashion with Mata and in particular Hazard running the show, causing Reading all sorts of problems with their movement, control, passing and with their flicks and tricks.
Chelsea immediately took the lead when Hazard was fouled by Gunther in the box (thanks to his awesome trickery!!) and up stepped Super Frank, smashed in a second successive penalty to take his Chelsea goals tally to 188, 14 away from club record scorer Bobby Tambling’s total of 202.
On twenty-five minutes Reading equalised with their first meaningful attack of the game when new signing Pogrebnyak out-jumped Cahill to loop a header over Cech.Four minutes later, even better was to come for the visitors, who grabbed the lead when Cech misjudged a routine free kick from Guthrie, fumbling the ball into his own net.
From the moment Reading equalised, Chelsea were a different team. From the free-flowing team at the beginning of the game, Chelsea became nervous, afraid of making mistakes and racked up a number of misplaced passes in record time. For Chelsea to get back into the game it was going to take a ‘bit of genius’ or a huge slice of luck.
And all thanks too one man- from one keeper to another – Reading’s Adam Federici. Gary Cahill’s speculative shot from 30 yards was powerful enough, but all Federici could do was to palm the ball in the net. Chelsea’s third came from Torres who tapped home from Torres. Cole was the provider, but the Spaniard looked offside as he tapped home the full-back’s low cross from point-blank range. Meanwhile, in the closing stages, whileAdam Federici was called for the Reading’s corner but got caught cold on the break when Hazard raced clear and squared the ball for Ivanovic to slide home to make it 4-2.
- It was a victory which sent Chelsea top of the league for the first time since November 2010.
- Eden Hazard has set up 5 out of 6 Chelsea goals in 2 games for Chelsea.
- Hazard has delivered as many league assists in 2 games of Chelsea as Malouda managed in the whole of last season.
- Eden Hazard has played 108 league games in a row, winning 403 fouls during that period.
- 8 – Hazard has won more penalties than any other player in Europe’s top 5 leagues since the start of last season.
- PREMIER LEAGUE: Chelsea edge Reading in six-goal thriller (tribalfootball.com)
- Eden Hazard and linesman help Chelsea overcome Reading, 4-2 (soccerblog.com)
- Chelsea at top after beating Reading (timesofmalta.com)
- Fernando Torres, Chelsea rally to beat Reading (cbc.ca)
- Torres to Chelsea’s rescue (todayonline.com)